Ask an expert

26 Oct 2006

Killing yourself it a solution
I went shopping with afriend on Saturday and we later decided to join friends of ours in a party. I didn't tell my boyfriend as I thought I will be back the latest 8.00.At about 7.00 I had 18 missed calls from him( my phone was in a bag) I then sent him an sms that I'm at the party and will be home late( we don't stay together). He didn't respond, 30 minutes later I called him and he was a bit upset. After that he kept on phoning me every 10 minutes and he was getting agry I then decided to avoid his calls and argumets hoping to deal it with in the morning.
i then explined to him what happened and he didn't believe me and said I was drunk and was with another man(cheating). I tried assure him that I'm not having an affair.
Monday he was not feeling well and went to see a doctor and was told that he has a nervous breakdown and he said its all my fault for playoing with his love.
Yesterday he went to see a physiotherapist and he came to see me. And he was so angry that he threatened to kill himself.
I don't know what to say to him anymore or to do as for him killing himself I just can't live with that. What can I do? How do I help him to overcome this?
I'm evenly thinking of calling his sister and let her know what is happening and maybe she can talk to him? is it fine if i involve her in this mess.
Answer 415 views

01 Jan 0001

For him to get into such a frenzy about demanding frequent contact and communication with you is unstable and immature. What you describe yourself as doing may n ot have been very considerate towards him, but would never be enough to cause any normal person to have a "nervous breakdown". I hope he saw a psychotherapist, as a physiotherapist would be totally useless in a situation like this. And as I have often said here, emotional blackmail by threatening to commit suicide unless he gets exactly what he demands from you, is never justifiable. If he chose to kill himself, it would be his own choice, and not caused by you. Maybe tell his sister what concerns you. But he is capable of controlling hs impetuous and childish emotions, and should be working with his shrink / doc to get himself right.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9436 votes
68% - 20003 votes