Ask an expert

01 Dec 2004

Dear Cyberdoc

My husband has been suffering from depression for the last three years and has suffered 2 breakdowns in that time, due to his abusive childhood. He is seeing a therapist once a week and attending group therapy once a week. I find it very difficult dealing with his mood swings and verbal abuse. Do you have any suggestions, or a support group that I can attend?

thank you
Answer 392 views

01 Jan 0001

If he has mood swings and real depression, psychotherapy might help, but he needs also to see a psychiatrist and get medication to smoothe out the mood swwings and sort out the depression --- and then his talking therapy could become much more effective. I worry that too many psychologists focus far too much on the issue of an abusive childhood, sad and important though that is, and ignore current curable problems, while stirring up the [past without nopticeable benefit.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.