Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
08 Aug 2010
Long lost brother meeting
My sister and I finally met our brother. The meeting went well. And a second meeting was arranged to meet our families. Question: why do I feel depressed and not connected to him, whereas my sister is? In first meeting my sister was so overwhelmed and emotional, she talked non-stop which resulted in me not getting a word in. I told her about it tho and we sorted out that problem. Today, a week later, we met for lunch with the families, and still I felt no connection. Is that perhaps because there were too many families around and I could not connect? My sister on the other hand it appears, has a mutual connection with him. Do I need a one-on-one with him in order for me to connect? I know very little about him so far, and he certainly knows nothing about me as I volunteered nothing. Is there something wrong with me??? Or do I need time for this to happen by itself?
You and your sister are diferent people, and likely to react differently to various experiences. Enjoy your own valid reactions, rather than lesen them for not being more similar to those of others. A meeting of the families is a good idea, but unlikely to be a great time for more intimiate one-on-one connections - you probably do need some time together, just you and him. Maybe you could e-mail him or write a letter summarizing your life experiences so far ( not too lengthy or heavy ! )amd how you feel about him, what you'd like to know about him. Maybe suggest he could write, too, or leave it open to later discussion. Try not to expect too much so you can enjoy what is, without pressurizing either of you. let it take the time it needs. Is there something wrong with you ? Only a bad case of worried normal.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Researchers looked at link between sunlight and Covid-19 deaths - what they found
- J&J Covid-19 vaccine: Are blood clots and the pausing of SA’s rollout a cause for major concern?
- Vaccine side effects are not uncommon - so, with J&J's jab: What are they, who gets them, and why?
- 6 unhealthy eating behaviours on the rise during the Covid-19 pandemic
- Experts don't expect J&J vaccine rollout to be paused for long - but suspension the right move
- Jail me, Zuma dares ConCourt as chief justice plays politics in JSC interviews
- ANC dismissed first Gupta allegations because its 'analysis' found newspapers were racist - Mantashe
- Is Judge John Hlophe above the law? Join us at the Editors' Table to discuss his fate
- Not having access to mental health treatment a violation of human rights - expert
- Mpumelelo Mkhabela | Attacks on our constitutional democracy: 4 strategies that are being used
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9432 votes
68% - 19947 votes