Ask an expert

16 Aug 2010

lost on committment to career
after completing matric at 17 i studied for a year but dropped out because i wasnt commited. i founda job in the profession i was studying for and excelled in it (well, thats what my boss said at the time..i think i could have done more. i was then headhunted in the corporate world and worked for a company for 8 years. i wanted study just to get a quaslification behind my career but failed to commit myself once again.i was again headhunted for a position in my profession by a very good SA co. and ma still unhappy. afraid will fail at impressing my bosses and peers. i''m now 29 and would like to study for a degree bu fear i will not commit myself to the end. i feel i could make even more money adn climb the professional ladder if I had a degree behind my name. i''m deeply unhappy about not having a qualification but am fearful i will disappoint myself adn others who have seen my non-commitment time and time again. i have a husband and am a full time step mother tom 2 teenage girls. i have commtted myself to them adn all their needs and now feel i need to commit myself to something i need but dont know how o can motivate and commit my life to about 8 yrs of distance learning to gain a degree. any advice?
Answer 409 views

01 Jan 0001

Am I understanding - you have had several episodes of problems with studies, which you see as due to a lack of "committment", yet seem to have been successful and well thought-of in actual business / work ?
Is part-time study an option ? Would it be worth seeing a counsellor for some sessions to clarify what this "committment" problem actually is, and what's the best thing to do about it ?
Have you discussed your concerns with someone in HR, to understand better what your best prospects are, and to what extent a degree would or would not help there ?
Is the issue more that you feel you have to get a degree, but don't actuallt want to, or expect to enjoy, actually studying the relevant subjects ?
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.