Ask an expert

29 Jan 2004

Dear Doc,

I'm a lady of 30 years. I grew up in a broken home. When I was 22 I fell pregnant and had medical abortion. I was at Varsity at that time and I only told my sister who passed away with my secret, I have not told a living soul ever since. I went for therapy afterwards but I did not complete it, I was taking antidepressants which did not work for me, I decided to discontinue using them. I got so deppressed that I failed to concentrate in class and I was excluded from Varsity.

I pulled myself together went back to another institution and passed. I have a good job and lot ofguys are showing interest in me, the problem I do not want them, my relationships only last less that 6 months, I enjoyed being on my own. I do not have someone in my life at present. Do you think this has got something to do with my past.
Is it possible to get a sychiatrist who could make me forget about my past. People have been commenting that I am beutiful but I only smile on the outside. I try by all means to hide my unhappiness but people can see beyond my smile.

Please help me.
Answer 326 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Pumela,
I am sure that a good psychiatrist or clinical psychologist could help you a great deal ( and, by the way, congratulations on managing to get through the pain of being rejected by the first educational institution, and to continue, and succeed, at another ). The aim would be to deal with your unhappiness and feelings of guily, and to help you free yourself from those --- not to "make you forget" what happened, but to understand it better, get it better into perspective, and to become free to enjoy a full and satisfying relationship with the man of your choice.
Then you can have inner happiness to match your pleasant smile.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.