Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
28 Jul 2006
My brother suffers from depression
My younger brother who is 28 years is a policeman. He stays far away from me , He called me yesterday to tell me that he has not been feeling well and upon seeing the doctor he was told that he has depression and low blood pressure. Are these 2 related ? What can I do to help him ? What causes depression? Does this mean that he is losing his mind ? please help I'm clueles. How does one know when one is suffering from depression . he is such a nice caring chap who wants everyone to be happy, why would he have depression whe he has such a good heart ?
Low blood pressure is a rather dubious diagnosis, but Depression is a common and serious affliction. What he needs is to be referred by the GP to a good local psychiatrist for a proper assessment and a discussion of treatment options for Depression ( if indeed this is his main problem ) and this would best include CBT style counseling and probably some antidepressant medication. No, he is not losing his mind at all, and right now, especially at a distance, what you can most do for him is provide emotional support and encouragement to see his shrink and follow the shrink's advice and get better. People with "a good heart" can easily become depressed ; fortunately it is a very treatable condition.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Scientists invent home Covid-19 test using coffee machine capsules
- Pfizer vaccines are coming. Here’s how SA could prepare its cold chain
- Obesity, diabetes not only increases risk of severe Covid - it increases the risk of being infected
- 10 ways to make yourself poop first thing in the morning
- A third of Covid survivors suffer neurological or mental disorders, a new study finds
- Days of reckoning for Zuma and Hlophe: Will ConCourt and JSC imprison and push to impeach?
- With Edgars now in its stable, how does Legit-owner Retailability compare to its rivals?
- Eskom official went out of her way to help Econ Oil, and linked them up with Gigaba - probe report
- Adriaan Basson | The end of John Mandlakayise Hlophe, a judicial scoundrel and delinquent
- Trichomonas gallinae disease or canker killing birds in Eastern Cape?
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9423 votes
68% - 19875 votes