Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
05 Aug 2010
My child and depression
My son (10 years old) has been diagnosed with ADD and depression in May this year. He was put on Ritalin and Trepiline. At first I could see as huge improvement academically and emotionally. Everthing went really well, except the last few days. He began to isolate himself again from friends and cries alot. He cannot go to sleep at night and wakes up the whole night. It almost seems as if he is having an anxiety attack when het must go to bed. May this be caused by the medication or the interaction of the two together. He drinks his last Ritalin at 11:00 AM. Any advice please.
This situation needs to be re-assessed by the shrink who made the original assessment and diagnosis, and recommended this treatment ( such diagnoses and tratments in children should always come from a child shrink, and not be based purely on the views of a GP ) Its still early days, but one wouldn't expct the meds, singly or in combination, to change their effects on him at this stage
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Is it the vaccine technology, used by AstraZeneca and J&J, causing blood clots? No evidence yet
- OPINION | Change your diet to change your cancer risk
- Lockdowns can reduce the severity of Covid-19 epidemics – and genetic evidence proves it
- How to actually fix a lost voice, according to science (hint: lemon and honey doesn’t work)
- Covid-19 patients have a higher risk of in-hospital morbidity and mortality after surgery
- Killing Kinnear: Secret report reveals infighting contributed to cop's death
- Karyn Maughan | Mogoeng, Malema and the judges: Inside the JSC hearings that shook the judiciary
- New African Bank CEO is 'back to complete the unfinished business of transformation in SA banking'
- 'Julius Malema should be removed from JSC': 6 questions with Casac's Lawson Naidoo
- Ramaphosa on Mantashe cadre deployment comments: 'I will answer at the Zondo Commission'
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9433 votes
68% - 19971 votes