Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
19 Jul 2005
My lovely Hands
I have an obssession with my hands and its starting to worry me. I make sure I wash my hands every 30 minutes, I have all sorts of hand creams in my office, handbag, car and at home. I also have waterless hand cleaners for instances where I cannot wash my hand. I have wetwipes in car, in case i'm driving and my hands become dirty. I am so conscious of what I touch, especially when I go to town or shopping malls. If I go somewhere, I would make sure that I rush home just to wash my hands. I avoid shaking peoples hands, especially men. If get a small cut, I panick, I'll put on a plaster, even if its not necessary to do so. I see it is getting worse and worse, my mom even made a comment that the best thing would be to cut of my hands to save me from all the trouble. Is this normal?
Sounds rather typical of an Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, which responds very well, ideally to a combination of medication adn CBT-type psychological therapy, which could help you get the issue of risk into perspctive realistically, and feel much more comfortable. It's a bit beyond the normal, and must be really inconvenient.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Is your stuffy nose 'stuffing up' your brain?
- WATCH | Covid-19 vaccines: Pfizer fast facts
- OPINION | Ivermectin: Why a potential Covid-19 treatment isn’t recommended for use
- Covid-19 infection indoors: This app can tell you how long it will take to catch the virus
- Scientists warn against videos alleged to be showing adverse Covid-19 vaccine side effects
- Zama Ndlovu | How men with money are ruining politics for the rest of us
- Sifiso Ntombela | SA needs 'inclusive agricultural growth', but what does that mean?
- EXPLAINER | What we know about the day the Coka brothers were killed on an Mpumalanga farm
- INTERVIEW | PSG’s Mouton on executive pay: 'The greatest CEOs, you cannot pay enough'
- Green light for Hlophe participation in Western Cape High Court interviews after Winde agrees to attend
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9439 votes
68% - 20025 votes