Ask an expert

18 Feb 2004

Need a therapist
Dear Doc
My friend, a young attractive mother(20yrs old) has had numerous failed relationships. When she meets a guy, she falls head over heels in love and like all previous relationships, they fail after a few weeks(they dump her). In between boyfriends, she feels desperately lonely, although she has friends and family around her all the time, she believes that she has to have a man beside her, to make her feel loved, to wake up in the morning with, etc. With each failed relationship, her self esteem takes a knock and it reassures her that she is not wanted. She is a lovely person and somehow I cannot seem to convince her that she does not need a HUSBAND! to make her life complete. That is what she is looking for. I suggested that she see a therapist to help her deal with things, since she's had a complicated life and had to grow up early. What type of therapist/counsellor would be appropriate for her and where do we find one - East Rand, Benoni)
Answer 427 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Friend,
I'm surprised none of our regulars has weighed in --- YET ! It sounds to me as if she needs a confident woman therapist, with a pro-feminist orientation, who apart from working on traditional self-esteem issues, could focus also in the primary issue that a woman on her own IS NOT INCOMPLETE. A relationship between a man and a woman is, ideally, one between two complete, whole, persons, and not like a transplant of a spare limb.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9428 votes
68% - 19895 votes