Ask an expert

21 Dec 2004

Need serious help
I have a problem. Something terrible happened during my childhood and now I don't trust men. I have an excellent husband, but I always think that he cheats on me and that he is unfaithful. I don't want to be like that. I really want to be the best wife I can be. That is why I need to be helped to overcome this, otherwise I know I will lose him. What do I do and how do I get rid of all this fear and anger? I can not continue to be like this. I'm untrusting of everything he says and never believe him even if he tells the truth. I always expect the worst. Please help me and give me some advise.
Answer 450 views

01 Jan 0001

Often, after nasty experiences in life, we switch from a position of trusting far too easily, to one of not trusting at all --- and therapy like CBT and similar counselling, can be valuable in helping one to draw more appropriate and useful conclusions from past experiences, and to be trusting when that is appropriate. As you recognize, if one spends too long being unfairly mistristful and expecting the worst, one may help to create the very situation one dreads. See a counsellor, and you can work this out
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9363 votes
67% - 19333 votes