Ask an expert

11 Apr 2006

Need to guide parents to retirement centre
Parents not coping living at home. Need to guide them to a care centre. They believe I want to send them to a home to die. They both need help. Mom needs company her own age. How to guide them to the descission without bullying/ insulting or hurting them?
Answer 299 views

01 Jan 0001

I suspect this will be a quiet week, what with server problems yesterday, and people sneaking off for a long Easter weekend ; but I hope other readers will be able to come up with useful advice here. Is there a local organization of retired people, or people from good local care centres who could both advise you, based on their own experience, and perhaps visit your parents and talk about the choices they made ? Aren't their local gatherings, organizations , of people their age whioch you could encourage them to join, and among those members, they could hear from others who have made this adjustment and are content with it ?
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9370 votes
67% - 19368 votes