Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
19 Jul 2005
Need your Opinion Please
I am in a 3 month relationship with a divorced man. He has 2 kids with his x wife. He says he loves me dearly, but he must give up the greatest love of his life (me) to be a good dad to his kids. According to him he cannot be committed to me and at the same time be a good dad to his kids. I dont know where he's getting this from as millions of divorced people around the world manage to have happy second marriages and make the kids happy. His kids adore me. I think it's the x wife putting some guilt trip on him and manipulating him by telling him he's neglecting his kids, because she sees we are actually happy together and she wants him back, therefore she is using his kids to drive us apart. Any advise from you please, if feel so helpless as this woman knows him longer than i do and she knows exactly what buttons to push. Thanks.
I don't quite understand his point, either. As a married man wihin a happy marriage, many men manage to dearly love their wife, AND be a good dad to their kids --- the two roles aren't at all incompatible. So why not in this situation, too ? it does sound like somone, maybe his ex, could be trying to induce a guilt in him which is inappropriate. Talk it through with him, and ask him to explain how these two roles, both of which he's obviously good at, could possibly be incompatible ?
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Covid-19: A potentially deadly ‘black fungus’ infection seen in patients in India
- Your guide to side-effects: What you can expect after a Covid-19 jab
- Mounting evidence suggests Covid-19 vaccines do reduce transmission. How does this work?
- Fighting the flu season: Two experts answer key questions about the flu shot
- Long Covid: How rehabilitation programmes may be needed to get patients back on track
- THE ESKOM FILES | WaBenzi and a house on Jamaican Music Street: Eskom exec's charmed life
- Magashule attempt to suspend Ramaphosa: 'People from other countries were calling' - Duarte
- Atul Gupta says Home Affairs records show no legal reasons for passport denial
- Nolwandle Mthombeni | We'd be a lot better off if social issues were as important as profit
- Talks with investors will reduce Rebosis' debt levels significantly - Sisa Ngebulana
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9471 votes
68% - 20280 votes