Ask an expert

14 Dec 2012

We rent a flat that is part of house that has been divided in to three units. Our neighbor''s backyard is right outside my kitchen window, I unfortunately can''t help hearing too many things while washing my dishes. Lately this neighbor has been losing his temper a lot and constantly shouting and swearing at his kids for the smallest of things, calling them names, insulting them ect., I don''t even speak that way to my boyfriend when we get into a fight and these are kids that are still in primary school!
Last night they were heading out and his son (probably around 6-7 years old) came to the car without putting shoes on and the man started shouting at him, almost every second word a swear, called him an idiot and threatenend to leave him alone and without food. I get that kids can be difficult, but that scared me, can only imigane how the kid felt.
I worry for them but I''m not keen on meddling in other people''s bussiness, still I feel that I can''t just turn a blind eye. Is there anything spesific that I should feel is a queue to step in and do something or do I just ignore it?
Answer 353 views

01 Jan 0001

OK, this man is a bad father, apparently at least a verbally abusive one, and possibly physicall as well, but you don't know that.
Any chance of getting to know the gran, and chating to her, discovering what she has noticed, and how she feels about the situation ?
Swearing at him obviously wouldn't help, would it ? Not onlywould it not convince him to change his bad behaviours, but it'd suggest to the kids that this is how adults are supposed to behave.
If you know anyone at the school, maybe you could chat to them, but if you don't, they should probably not agree to talk about a child whi isn't yours. Lou's idea of an anonymous letter to the school might work, or approaching Child Welfare about your concerns, so they could decide whether to investigate.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
31% - 9556 votes
69% - 21502 votes