Ask an expert

18 Jul 2005

old, big problem help, please
I have been addicted to cough mixture since 1987! Unfortunately, my poor husband is in this dreadfull trap too. We can not go to any dry clinic because we have jobs and kids. How in the world am I going to stop this?...?...??
Answer 365 views

01 Jan 0001

You both CAN and should go to see a drug rehab counsellor. People manage to get themselves addited to all sorts of things, but cough mixture isn't one of the most serious --- although it can indeed be very damaging to continue taking it, it isn't one of the difficult ones to stop, and it is likely that a drug rehab clinic could help you both to stop, without you needing to be admitted to the clinic. If an admission was necessary ( and that's not likely ) you could do this one at a time ( so the other one can look after the kids ) and take leace from work, as it shouldn't take long. The counselling would be the main thing, as there are usually no serious withdrawal effects or similar problems, so long as one cuts down the dose gradually.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.