Ask an expert

08 Dec 2004

Have any of u heard of a sitution whereby one person qualifies as a doctor , makes copies of the certificate and lets his brothers practice on his certificate as well, eg Dentis. The brotehrs could have gone for trainining just for one year just to get some little info on dentistry.
I dont want to mention which people do this
Answer 400 views

01 Jan 0001

Well, I already avoid Epol. Back to Abiba's question. It sounds as if you know a family of doctors and dentists, and are suspicious that at least some of them may not be duly qualified. Now, some families take a lot of care to have all their kids qualify properly in medicine, or dentistry, otr whatever. But it is also known that some people practice without ever having been properly qualified or licensed,
The body that would deal with this was called the medical and Dental Council, now part of the Health Professions Council in Pretoria. Check the phone book -- anyone with doubts about any particular doctor or dentists could call the COuncil, and ask whether Dr X Y is registered with them, and if so, in what speciality. Amd the receptionist can ceck the computer version of the Register, and tell you. Get the proper names of these brothers, and call the Counsil and ask if they are all duly registered as properly qualified doctors and / or dentists. IF so, then they're an unusual family, but probably OK. IF not, then tell the counsil that they appear to be practising, and ask for an investigation. Carte Blanche might also, then, become interested, and they adore to do stories knocking the professions. But first check with the council, as you'd look foolish if it turns out that they're all qualified and registered !
And if you go to see such a person, you are entitled to ask to see proof of their qualification ( most would have the certificate on the wall !) and of their current registration with the Council. Except for those of us who are retired, if they are registered and have paid the enormously high annual fee, they would have received a small blue credit-card sized card showing that they are indeed registered, and with the number of their registration.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.