Ask an expert

13 Feb 2004

overeating where can I get help
Well, I need help I have tried and tried to do this on my own but end up where I started... In front of the fridge thinking why dit I eat all of that- again-. Where can I look for a sapport group in Pta? Or should I rather find a doctor(shrink)
Is it posible to ever get free from this? I'm not so sure anymore. I have gained 30kg over the last 5 years.
I need help.
Answer 359 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear HA,
let's see if any of our regular readers know of a good support group of the sort you seek --- I find we're sadly lacking in support groups in SA, and the few that exist, are often sponsored by a drug company, with an interest in promoting a specific product, rather than more general help.
But at this important stage of having recently recognized that you do need help, and being open to working with such help to achieve a mchange in your eating habits, better, surely, to start by seeing ahsrink, anyway, for an assessment and advice on treatment options. Psychologists can usefully use behaviour therapy to help one to change bad habits --- and it IS indeed posible to get free from this.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9362 votes
67% - 19305 votes