Ask an expert

14 Jul 2008

Panic Attacks
Panic/anxiety attacks. Treated in hospital.Widow lives with adult son.
She becomes "clinging". Should I be firm with her and tell her to go out, mix with people etc or do I give in to her fears of "being alone" and "wanting to come and live with me" ? I don't want to be hard, but I am at a loss on how best to deal with her and I dont want to do the wrong thing.
Answer 383 views

01 Jan 0001

Usually, panic attakcs can be successfully treated, with meds and CBT, without needing a hospital admission. I dont altogether understand your mesage, though I prefer terse to verbose messages. Are you going out wih a widow who lives with her son ? Is it her or you who have panic atacks ? She should be seeing a CBT therapist if it is she who is having the panic attacks, and should there discus issues like her fears of being alone. It doesn't sound as though you want her to move in with you, and that would only delay some of her distress, without solving her problems, for which she needs individual counselling and help
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9362 votes
67% - 19322 votes