Ask an expert

04 Feb 2004

Parental Rights
Well i dont know if this is the site to ask for help on this topic but here it goes: Im 24 and have a child in a relationship witch was doomed from day one but we tried to make it work but to no avail we have now gone our own way's and my son is staying with her, now here comes the big problem she has met another guy and does not want me to see my child shes even asked me to give up my parental rights!!!! Does anybody know how to go about seing my child and keeping my rights as a perant and a loving father????????
Answer 403 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Rusty,
See what the others say, but my understanding of the law is that she is NOT entitled to refuse you the right to see your child, and that the law has recently been strengthened as regards father's rights, at long last. Do not agree to give up any of your rights. You need a legal opinion, and apart from a private lawyer ( the quickest option ) you can check what's avilable at the Free Law CLinic at your enarest Law School ( University ), and I think the Law Society still offers a free initial 25 min consultation ; and there could be help from the Family Advocate at the Maintenance Court.
There are so many women complaining of non-loving and uncaring spouses / fathers, don't give up your own rights to contribute love to your child.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9433 votes
68% - 19970 votes