Ask an expert

04 Jul 2005

Please Help
I desperately need help to stop the use of alchohol. My partner is away on business alot and I feel frightened living alone, so I drink and that makes me feel bolder and I sleep better. This does not. however, make me feel better the next day. I am getting to the stage where I can't wait for the end of the day to have a drink. I wake up in the morning and promise myself that today is the day that I will not have another drink and feel possitive all day, but the minute I am alone in the evening things change. I hate being this way but can't seem to help myself. When my partner is at home my problem does not go away as he uses alchohol as well. While away he seems to control his intake, unlike me. I have spoken to him and he says he needs it to "unwind" when not working. I live in a small community where, because I have my own business, I know alot of people and I am embarrased to seek help in case someone finds out about my problem. Please help me get rid of this problem, I really want to stop.
Answer 339 views

01 Jan 0001

What you need, and deserve, would be a comprehensive plan. Obviously, you need expert help to stop drinking, as you are heading towards alcoholism. But you also need to see a psychiatrist to assess the whole situation, and, perhaps best of all with the aid of a psychologist who does CBT, to work on eliminating those fears, and become more self-confident. Yo could find more positive ways to feel calm and confident in the times that you are alone.
Alsom as Powerpuff suggests, you can work on developing hobbies and social contacts, so as to lessen the time you spend alone. You know many people, so non-alcoholic socializing should be practical. It may well be that your partner can control his own drinking, as many people can ; but that doesn't need that you need to drink alcohol, even if he does.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.