Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
23 Jul 2010
Hi Prof Please could you help me with where to from here. Have son nearly 13, big for his age. Approx 2 years ago we realized he was accessing porn sites on the computer, we have since taken steps to prevent this (net nanny etc) and discussed the issue with him several times - he is allowed limited comp time but continues to attempt to access porn sites (net nanny blocks attempts but sends email to notify us of attempt). We continue to discuss and also consequence is no media time for a week every time net nanny sends mail. Previously he also got hold of mine & dad''s cellphones to access sites. Last night he spend some time with my 4 year old daughter in his room, I was pleasantly surprised to find them looking at a book together. I was cooking, my daughter came into the kitchen and as I asked her did you enjoy looking at the book with your brother, she replied much to my shock and horror, that he had rubbed her fanny and sucked it and she liked it a lot. Trying to stay very calm, I approached my son, who denies doing this. My husband (who is away from home for about 6 months of the year due to work) immediately had a serious talk with him - we have not meted out any punishment of any sort andtried to stay very calm. I do not believe that my son has been abused at any point - could I be wrong? I have no idea what to do, I feel extreme abhorrence towards my son and at the same time I want to help him, I love my child, and obviously serious concern for my daughter. Both my husband and I are actually unable to really talk about this even. Does my son see his sister as a sex object? Does he have a conscience? Where are the moral and values I have tried to instill all these years? Do I need to take him for councelling? Please please help.
Surely you do indeed need to take him for counselling. This may be a really remediable thing, but can't be ignored. All kids are more curious about sex and other adult matters than most of us suspect, but he sounds unusually driven and bothered about it, for his age, with less concern about right and wrong or even abou being found out. Some kids might, in some circumstances, lie about such events, or invent complaints, but it isn't believable that a girl of 4 would have enough knowledge to invemnt such a story, let alone be motivated to report it falsely.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Is your stuffy nose 'stuffing up' your brain?
- OPINION | Ivermectin: Why a potential Covid-19 treatment isn’t recommended for use
- Scientists warn against videos alleged to be showing adverse Covid-19 vaccine side effects
- Frequently interrupted sleep increases the risk of death, especially in women
- Covid-19 infection indoors: This app can tell you how long it will take to catch the virus
- ANALYSIS | The ANC's tactics to control Parliament laid bare at Zondo commission
- Zondo commission: Zuma relied on alleged lack of security clearance to institute inquiry against Nxasana
- ANALYSIS | Daniel Mminele's sudden departure is about more than Absa losing its first black CEO
- Karyn Maughan | Zuma lawyers quit: Will the 'broke' former president’s trial ever get started?
- Rainbow Cup 'SA' … more derbies, but they COULD dazzle
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9439 votes
68% - 20029 votes