Ask an expert

11 Aug 2008

pour my heart out
hi doc i finally got the guts to write to you.i really dont know wer to torn between my family and my bf family. im a working class person and so is my boyfriend we work 5 days a week which leaves the weekends for us to spend time together the problem is my mum thinks am trying to replace her with my bf mum and my bf because am never around weekends to spend time with her but i make the effort weekdays but all she wants to do is fight. she doesnt like my bf because of this she says i have more time for him and his family then my own which is not rue i always try my best to make them happy but its never enuf for them.i really dont know wat to do everything i try to do is never enuf for them.anothee thing is i am indian and my bf and i come from two diffrent religions his tamil and im christian but we made our relationship work despite this and my bf never bring his family to my house as yet reason being my mum over reacts for everything and shes not an understanding person anyway his family is going to come sometime soon.i really dont know what to do my bf and i have been together 2 and a half years and we both 20 yrs old.the suprising thing my mum thinks we friends i dont know why she thinks that./

i would appreciate your advice

Answer 354 views

01 Jan 0001

Gosh I hope it doesn't really require much guts to write here. anyhow, welcome. lets see what other readers can contribute here. Its not uncommon that parents, especially a mom, feel neglected when you take to a bf, and worry thet he and his family will form a higgher priority in your life. Explain calmly to her that with all the hard work the pair fo you do, there's not much time left over to spend with ANYBODY, so there's no intention of specially neglecting her in favour of anyone else. Maybe it'd also be a good idea for you and your bf to discuss the impending visit by his family to yours, to consider what areas of tension or problems there might be, and how to minimize these
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9362 votes
67% - 19319 votes