Ask an expert

23 Feb 2004

Problem child
I have a 4 yr old who is very intelligent, but has too much energy, is extremely destructive, cannot play well with his brother, etc. Would this be course for worry? Does he need to see a child psychologist to check that all is OK?
Answer 328 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Worried mommy,
it's obviously hard to tell at Third hand. Some 4 year-olds are simply more boisterous and energetic than others, with nothing wrong with them. Some may have problems related to Attention Deficit Disorder, or similar issues, which could be helped by treatment. The best way to be sure would be to see a child psychologist for a proper assessment and advice on possible treatment. If there's nothing wrong, as if probably the case, I'm sure the child psychologist should be pleased to tell you that.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9463 votes
68% - 20185 votes