Ask an expert

14 Nov 2004

Problem child
I wonder if you can help me. A family friend has a young boy of 10 years old. He steals the other childrens lunches and hits them and etc. He is extremely naughty and rebellious.
This boy probably needs help- well, I am certain he needs some sort of help.
Problem being these people cannot afford therapy or anything like that...They live in Vereeinigin- (sorry not sure of spelling)- So what would be the best method of finding some free councelling or something like that- should they phone lifeline, or their local university? I am not sure how to go about this. What can you recommend?
Thanks so much Doc!
Answer 371 views

01 Jan 0001

You're probably right that he needs some kin of help, as such misbehaviour, though often thought of as just an early manifestation of criminal tendencies, can be a way a child acts out, and draw3s attention to himself, when unhappy, for whatever reason. They can call Lifeline which should at their local branch, be familiar with counselling facilities near them in Vereeniging. Their local university might be Wits or RAU, and thus some considerable distance for them to travel, but could also be a possible option. Also explore what might be available through the school, as the Education Dept is supposed to provide some psychological services for troubling kids ( not that this necessarilo means that the Dept will actually provide what they ought to provide. )
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9360 votes
67% - 19295 votes