Ask an expert

28 Jan 2009

psychiatrist &amp  clinical psychologist
hi, whats the difference between psychiatrist / clinical psychologist (psychologist) and social worker in terms of marriage counselling, which one will be more relevent?
Answer 337 views

01 Jan 0001

I get asked this question so often. a psychiatrist is the most highly qualified, having done a full medical training plus psych training, but is inclined to look for medication solutions maybe too often, and is usually not specifically training in marriage counselling. A psychologist cannot prescribe drugs, and thus relies on talking treatments, and is usually capable of marriage counselling ; a social worker similarly, though with lesser trainiong. For marriage counselling, best to start at the other end --- look for someone trained in and concentrating on, marriage counselling as such, suich as the people recommended by FAMSA.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9476 votes
68% - 20327 votes