Ask an expert

01 Jul 2010

RE 1181
Hi Doc
Thank you for you answer. I woudl like to go for CBT counceling. Not sure if this will be the type of councelling you refered to in your reply. My question is if CBT is done by psychologist or psychiatrist? I did read up on some documents on CBT and I can see why you do suggest it so many times.
I do have some numbers however I feel silly phoning them and asking if they are using CBT as a treatment method. I grew up in a very conservative family and it is still frowned upon to go for counceling at psychologist or psychiatrist. So I can not help feeling that I am doing something wrong and that I should be ashamed of it. That is something that I must do and not let anybody find out about it.
Thank you once again.
Answer 400 views

01 Jan 0001

It can be done by either, most likely a psychologist ; but it depends on what training they have had and have chosen to get. Don't feel silly asking a receptionist what form of psychotherapy a shrink uses - its a very valid and sensible question. The Anxiety/Depression Support Gp, SADAG, lists some of the CBT pratitioenrs on its website and could possible name more by phone.
Its sad, isn't it, how many families had the old-fashioned viewpoint that you could sek expert help in any other aspect of life, except this one.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9430 votes
68% - 19912 votes