Ask an expert

24 Jan 2008

Re: Post 1385 - Att CS
Hi CS,

Thank you for your reply. I just have to disagree on "preferably NOT from a church source". I do believe, that, as we are both christians, that we DO indeed need assistance, advise and therapy from our bearers of blessings AS WELL as trained psychologists. By appraoaching BOTH these sources... should help tremendously in all areas of concern.

Kind Regards
Answer 331 views

01 Jan 0001

Christianity is clealy an important part of your life, and seeking SPIRITUAL advice from the church would be wise, and as you say, combining this with proper professional psychological advice and help would be excellent.
But unless the minister is properly trained in psychology, he can be ( and I know of a number of situations where this has been so ) a meddling amateur. Psychologists ought to be very careful not to preach or give spiritual advice, and ministers ought to have the same courtesy. Being a spiritual person or even trained in theology gives one no skills or knowledge in psychology, and I wouldn't ask them for advice on repairing my car, or how to help a sick pet. That's not rejecting the very real expertise they ought to have within their own field of work, but simply not assuming that they have other expertise without the required training.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.