Ask an expert

06 Aug 2011

Dear Prof Simpson, my 21 year old law student son came to me on 5 Aug to tell me he was extremely unhappy, that he seems to have no motivation to get out of his flat, that his appetite has gone and that he is just unable to concentrate on any academic task. His academic performance is erratic. After this revelation I deem it urgently necessary to make an appointment for him with a psychologist as a start to look for signs of depression or whatever may be wrong. Do you agree? And if so, would you be so kind as to recommend to me a professional at Stellenbosch (would the University have such a service available to students?)

As this is an urgent priority for me I hope you read this over the weekend so that I can set things in motion on Monday.

Your attention to my letter is much appreciated.
Answer 399 views

01 Jan 0001

Excellent response from maria. this does indeed sound like a depression, a common disorder, and he could probably be assessed and start treatment at low or no cost through the student counselling services and/or student health
If for any reason those services thought eventually that more would be helpful, they could arrange to refer him to the University's Medical School's Department of Psychiatry.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9436 votes
68% - 20003 votes