Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
10 Aug 2010
I AM CONSTANTLY STRUGGLING WITH THIS INSURENESS, FEELING FEARFUL OF EVERYTHING I DO EVEN A TELEPHONE CALL IS TO MUCH...I AM CURRENTLY ON ANTI DEPRESSANTS BUT ALTHOUGH I FEEL BETTER THE LACK OF SELF CONFIDENCE AND THE ANXIETY/FEAR REMAINS THE SAME. IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO TO HELP BETTER MYSELF AS MY MEDICAL AID DOES NOT CURRENTLY COVER FOR A PSYCHOLOGIST AND MONEY IS AN ISSUE....
OK, sounds rather like an anxiety disorder, which responds well to some medications and to CBT style counselling. Antidepressants may help some such symptoms, but not the actual situations which create them, which is why proper counsellin is FAR more effective. It is typical of the extreme short-sightedness of medical aids, that they so readily pay for expensive antidepressants even if they don't work, and not for counselling which most probably will work. Counselling may not necessarily be more expensive, especially as it can be effective within a shorter time-span than the medications
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Researchers looked at link between sunlight and Covid-19 deaths - what they found
- New research shows South Africa’s levy on sugar-sweetened drinks is having an impact
- Have introverts really fared better in lockdown?
- Life Esidimeni update: Five years later, key officials implicated yet to face disciplinary action
- Covid-19: The latest science and developments on vaccines
- EXPLAINER | Chief Justice, SARS and NPA: A timeline of unsolved burglaries
- German court still assessing Markus Jooste's likelihood of conviction before main trial starts
- R250m available for Covid-19 vaccine 'no-fault compensation' fund - Mkhize
- Adriaan Basson | The white elephant in the troubled JSC room
- INTERVIEW | New interim SAA CEO wants to make the airline something SA can 'be proud of'
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9435 votes
68% - 19994 votes