Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
18 Aug 2010
Hi Doc, I have recently after one year of taking 100mg serlife, gone down to 50mg with the goal of eventually quitting the meds. I do feel depressed again and I''m scared to continue quitting. Is this an indication that I m not yet ready or is this normal? I''ve been on 50mg for one month now and still not feeling better.
Usually, if one takes the right antidepressant for you, and it hlps you to lift the depression, and the depression is truly over, then gradually lowering the dose of the AD will leave you as you are. Signs of a returning depression suggest that the depression is not yet over, and maybe a different AD might be more useful. Discuss this with your doc, and if you have ben treated so far by a GP, ask to see a psychiatrist for a full re-assessment and a good discussion of treatment options.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Energy drink habit puts man in hospital with heart failure
- Frequently interrupted sleep increases the risk of death, especially in women
- Is your stuffy nose 'stuffing up' your brain?
- More research provides reassurance on Covid-19 vaccine safety – even for those with severe allergies
- App allows users to report adverse effects from medicines, including Covid-19 vaccines
- Cape Town inferno: Maintenance of fire site a centuries-old debate
- PP apologises to judge she attacked over Gordhan interdict, as she defends 'Rogue Unit' report
- Road Accident Fund wants 102 law firms probed for not returning R340m sent 'by mistake'
- The 'decisive decade': World leaders mull over Earth's last hope to beat climate crisis
- What can we expect from local government elections? We ask 3 analysts
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9441 votes
68% - 20045 votes