Ask an expert

20 Jul 2005

Sexual abuse
I have a friend who was abused as a young boy. Now that he has told me, I do not know what he is going through, or how to handle his emotional distance. Help
Answer 337 views

01 Jan 0001

People experience a wide range of unpleasant experiences, which they may or may not allow to shape or distort the experience of their lives. They need proper therapy from a properly trained and experienced and versatile therapist. They don't need any specially specific, specialized for of support from a friend, rather than the powerful general formats of support --- being available to listen if and when they wish to talk about what's troubling them, and general encouragement towards becoming engaged in therapy. It's the same as would be needed if he had appendicitis --- general support from you, and strong encoy\uragement to see a surgeon asap.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9472 votes
68% - 20298 votes