Ask an expert

22 Nov 2004

Sexually abused!!!!!!!!
Well, my dilema started 16 years ago. At the age of 13 I was sexually molestered by a cousin. This used to take place nearly every day for about a year and a half. He was 19 at the time and used to come over to my house and force me to perform sexual acts. This carried on until I was 15 years old.

At the age of 14 I was raped by another cousin of mine. I bet you are wondering why i never told anyone, I eventually did when I turned 21. You see at the time when all this was happening, my father was always on business trips, my mom on the other hand was an alcoholic, all I had was my younger brother. In any even I thought if i told someone nobody would believe me. When i eventually told my folks, they done nothing about it, cause it is to late.

All this has damaged me psychologically, but I tried to put it into the back of my mind, until I had a baby girl, all the horrible memories have surfaced and i can't seem to let my boyfriend touch me without feeling dirty and thinking back. I have even told him he reminds me of my cousin.

I am so mad I feel like sreaming out to the world about what has happpend, I was even thinking of going to a lawyer, to hurt them like they hurt me. Even though this happend so long ago, is there anything I could do to get justice, or is this to late. I feel that I have been robbed of my innocence, my dignity, my sanity, my trust in people and my self confidence!!!
Answer 371 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Dippie,
I can understand your situation. TO people who haven't experienced this sort of rather chaotic home situation, it seems odd that one didn't blow the whistle at the time, but it's not always as easy as it seems from the outside, especially if one has absentee or irresponsible parents. And abusers often make it a point to persuade you that nobody will believe you.
It's a legal question as to whether you would still have a right to sue the perpetrator --- but though it's understandable that you feel furious and would like him to be punished, even if you have still a legal right to do so, it's often not such a good idea as it might seem --- it can be very hard to prove, after all this time, and he'd presumably deny it ; and such a case can bring back all the unpleasant memories very nastily, and allow HIS lawyer to be very unpleasant to you in the witness box.
I'd think that the first priority would be for you to see a good local shrink for an assessment and discussion of treatment options. Preferably not a shrink you specializes in nothing but cases of earlier abuse, but one who has some experience of such situations, among other problems --- because it will be important for them to focus, in working with you, on the current problems you have right now, rather than exclusively digging back into the past. We can't change anything that happened in the past, but we can change how we choose to feel about it, what conclusions we choose to draw from it, and what we choose to do about it and about our future.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9433 votes
68% - 19974 votes