Ask an expert

10 Jul 2008

Skew Teeth
Dear Cybershrink,

I have very skew teeth. I am too afraid to get out there and enjoy life. My parents never bothered even though i begged them when i was a teenager,because i was constantly teased and embarissed.I have nt been to a dentist in years, because my teeth are super skew, i struggle with them getting rotten and falling out because i cant brush or floss everywhere. I resent my parents for this every day , they send my brother for braces years after i begged them and his teeth wasnt that bad!!! I am always the quiet girl in the corner too afraid to open my mouth to speak or smile, i dont make friends easily because everyoe thinks im shy and unfriendly. This is not my personality,im not shy at all around my family or closest friends, but with new peolple i quickly shy away. Im 27 now and think this has effected me more than i know. We recently moved to a small town where everyone knows everyone and i break out in the sweats if i have to meet anyone. My husband doesnt understand this but its hard for me to describe how i feel when i talk to someone for the first time and they keep staring at my teeth!! A lot of things happen in my head and as a result i hate kissing my hubby or if he whatches my mouth when i speak i get aggressive.. What can i do? Im so shy to go to a dentist and im not sure i can afford the surgery its going to take to fix it. And is surgery going to fix the pain i have on the inside of everytime someone teased me or made funny remarks at my teeth?
Answer 2,791 views

01 Jan 0001

So you're very troubled by your skew teeth, to the point of accepting growing damage to them, rather than to see a dentist who might be able to correct them, completely or even partly ? Its highly likely that nobody else notices your teeth or thinks about them in the way you do. But check out what a dentist could do --- and seeing a psychotherapisv/ counsellor, p[referably of the CBT type, could help heal that sense of hurt and low self-esteem that causes most of the pain.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.