Ask an expert

16 Aug 2011

Specialist Phychiatrist

I am urgently needing a name and contact number of a specialist phychiatrist (no sure if i spelt it correctly) for my sister. She was diagnosed with Co dependancy, social anxiety and depression and is on medication but its not being monitored nor is it working.

We would like to consult a specialist in Cape Town as a last resort before deciding if she needs to be admitted into a mental health facility.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Answer 325 views

01 Jan 0001

I wonder who was treating her who made these diagnoses and started their treatment, but understand that a second opinion might be useful. Has your sister asked you to help find someone, or is she satisfied so far, and is it you who are not ? Just asking ! If there are issues that she may be reluctant to either take the previously recommended treatment ( remember, a common cause for meds not working is that they are not being taken as recommended or even not taken at all ) it may be useful to have a discussion with her and her current shrink to get her more engaged in the process.
For various excellent reasons we cannot and should not recommend specific docs or shrinks, but your GP may properly be able to do so ; her previous shrink ought to accept a desire for a second opinion and be able to suggest someone. And there are in CT tghe University Departments of Psychiatry at UCT and Stellenbosch, too.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.