Ask an expert

12 Feb 2004

Stop alcohol abuse
I have heard of a pill which is sometimes given to alcoholics which makes them sick if they drink. What is the name of this drug, and if I slip one into my husband's coffee, will he taste it. I am desparate as his drinking is destroying our marriage and I can't take much more of this.
Answer 351 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear At Wits End,
I understand your frustration, but these pills don't work that way. There is one type called Antabuse, which has to be taken absolutely regularly, and is only available with a prescription, and has to be used very carefully, as the side-effects can be dangerous in some circumstances ; and even then they only work in some people, if the alcoholic is being totally cooperative, and takes them absolutely regularly ( or there is also an injectable form). And he has to know he's on it, not only for legal and ethical reasons, but for it to work --- he has to choose to take and and stay on it.
If he doesn't accept that he has alcohlism and needs to work to get it under control, there's no way he can be cured or controlled by remote control. There's another newer drug which works by removing most of the pleasure which an alcoholic gets from drinking, but it has the same limitations.
Speak with AA and their services for spouses and families of alcoholics.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9463 votes
68% - 20185 votes