Ask an expert

01 Feb 2009

Suggestion re child
Hi Doc

My daughter was 7 months (2005) when her dad and I split and I had met somebody else. It was a bad relationship from the start and the pregnancy was not planned with the biological father. I married my boyfriend just over a year later and he accepts and loves her as his own. We also have a 18 month old together. My daughter has been seeing her biological father approx every two weeks (he stays 1.5 hours away) and the odd holiday. She adored him. She is now turning four in a few months time. Suddenly she does not want to see him anymore and says she only wants one daddy. If I ask her which daddy she says my husband' s name. She says her (biological) daddy and his girlfriend ' irritates'  her and makes her sad and she doesn' t want to visit them again. They are due to visit again soon and I don' t know what to do.

She was there for 2 weeks over Dec/Jan and they say she was VERY difficult. I also know that her biological dad' s g/friend struggles with the discipline as biological dad doesn' t want to discipline her so g/friend is stuck with that job. I don' t know what else may have happened. She has even had a few nights of wetting her bed again. She has always been a very emotional child. Loud noises frighten her, so does bugs and odd other things. She is a sensitive little girl but it has gotten worse. She goes quiet, grumpy and tell me she doesn' t want to talk to me. She really just seems depressed.

Do you think I need to take her to see somebody? And do I go to a child psychologist or psychiatrist or what kind of doctor? What other insight can you offer?

Thanks so much!
Answer 308 views

01 Jan 0001

It quite often happens that a biodad, out of guilt or whatever reason, hesitates to discipline a child during visits. It could help if you discussed with them what are the routines, disciplinary rules and consequences in your house, so as to maintain cionsistency during her visits there ( kids respond rather badly to inconsistency ). The resumptin of bed-wetting confirms that something, though, has definitely upset her. Why not suggest that the visits stop for a month or two, to let her settle down, and meanwhile you could calmly chat with her about what happens during her visits, what are the good bits and the bad bits, of a visit. And maybe when resuming visits, is it possible to arange for him to visit her, at your place, for the first time or two, so she can feel more re-assured ?
Seeing a child shrink could be helpful, as they have ways of assessing her that might more easilt discover what's going on.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
31% - 9520 votes
69% - 20870 votes