Ask an expert

21 Jan 2004

I am a 28 yr old male who previously led a gay life, approzimately 3 years ago i got married and had one child with my wife. i also adopted her two children. I am now at a point where i wish to end it all. I don't want to divorce her, however this is not the lifestyle i wish to lead and so much hangs in the balance. I've been contemplating suicide and have also been to speak to my doctor who just prescribed drugs. My wife new my past. What must i do, how do i find a solution, before it's to late. Who could i speak to, a gay psychiatrist. my time is running out rapidly. What do you suggest ?????
Answer 366 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear EDS,
Sounds like you really urgently need both to se a psychiatrist with a view to proper medical assistance with your Depression, and above all, a counsellor to help you work on sorting out your conflicts of interest and intentions as to life-style. I can understand that you might have worked yourself into a state of eeling despair, but it's hard to see how a suicide could do anything but cause severe pain and hurt all round. Suicide is the cruellest type of divorce. And those children need and love you.
ANY clinical psychologist or good counsellor ought to be able to help. But check out local gay organizations, who may be able to recommend some known gay-friendly therapists, who may be especially well able to understand the dilemmas you are experiencing, and help you work out a better plan for a happier future for everyone involved.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9433 votes
68% - 19977 votes