Ask an expert

23 Nov 2004

Support for Huntingtons sufferer
Hi there,

My boyfriend has found out he has Huntington's Chorea. Although we've researched the technical aspects of the disease, is there anything I can do to support him in coping with the emotional side? There don't seem to be any support groups in our city and he has no one to talk to who understands what he is feeling. I've tried but it's like he has this huge black cloud hanging over him.
Answer 258 views

01 Jan 0001

I suspect that Huntingdon's is too rare for there to be enough people in one city at the same time, for a specific support group. But I think there are some for people with a range of neurological disorders, which have similar features. And a personal counsellor would probably be the best place to start. I understand your excellent thinking here. Maybe check with his neurologist, or the University / Medical School Dept of Genetics, to see if they know of a suitable support group
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9472 votes
68% - 20296 votes