Ask an expert

30 Jul 2007

Surname Change
I have a son of 8 years old and a boyfriend whom we planning to get married next year April. My boyfriend who is not the child father wants my son to change surname to his surname after marriage, but I don't want that because my son already knows that he will be his step-father and he knows and love his father.

I mentioned to his father that when I got married my son will change surname to his step-fathers surname and he was against that saying our son should remane with his mother surname or he takes his surname but not the step-fathers surname.

Can the biological refuse his son to take his step-fathers surname after marriage?

Is ther any law that talks about this issue?

Thank you for your advice
Answer 399 views

01 Jan 0001

I'm no lawyer, but it seems to me there can be no law requiring a name change to that of your fiancee unless you all agree and the child is formally adopted by him
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9380 votes
67% - 19432 votes