Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
12 Jul 2010
My teenage daughter has a relationship with someone she has only spoken with over the phone. They also chat on Facebook and mixit. He is quite a bit older than her. An adult to be exact and is also a diffrerent race, religion and culture. I have discussed this relationship and aired my concerns but she still seems committed to this person. She does have friends girls and boys and I have told her that it is important to have friends that she can actually converse with face to face. She is an attractive girl and has many boys interested in her however she still hangs on to this person. He lives in another province and has made several fruitless promises to meet her. She has told me that she is giving him a year. If he does not make the effort to meet her she will break up with him. Really need some advise.
Relationships based entirely on these essentially artificial media are always naive and rarely successful. And of course the unseen partner has the advantage that he can SEEM to be abything he chooses - and equally important, anything she chooses to imagine. In some ways, these are modern equivalents of the Imaginary Friends kids used to have, based on fantasy and wishing, rather than reality. And adoelscents really need to understand and deal with reality.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- How to make sense of nutrition labels
- Covid-19 patients have a higher risk of in-hospital morbidity and mortality after surgery
- J&J Covid-19 vaccine: Are blood clots and the pausing of SA’s rollout a cause for major concern?
- Some form of long-term symptom lingers in one in 10 who had mild Covid-19, new study finds
- How to actually fix a lost voice, according to science (hint: lemon and honey doesn’t work)
- 'Hlophe should not only be impeached, he should be put in prison' - Kriegler
- Family finally gets justice 10 years after their three-year-old boy drowned at a North West lodge
- Meet Soweto's 'cemetery navigators' - the men attending to dilapidated graves
- High risks or picky banks: Why is microfinance not taking off in SA?
- SATURDAY PROFILE | Judge Dennis Davis: ‘To accuse the judiciary of being captured is outrageous’
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9433 votes
68% - 19975 votes