Ask an expert

11 Feb 2004

The past is haunting her
Please give me some advice. My daughter has a friend, age 21, who is haunted by something in her past. I don't know what it is, but it is obviously something major. She thinks it is a sign of weakness if she opens up, but it is causing depression and loss of confidence. I have suggested to her that she see a clinical psychologist, but she's reluctant. What advice do you have?
Answer 383 views

01 Jan 0001

Anne, you're absolutely right --- the only way forward for her is to see a clinical psychologist. Why are we so daft about seeing shrinks ? If someone said : "MY car is making horrible noises and jerking, and I can't even get it out of the garage" --- nobody would be foolish enough to think the less of someone for calling in a mechanic --- we'd think they were truly stupid if they did NOT call one in. In a case like this, it is a sign of weakness, not of strength, to avoid seeing a psychologist who could help so much. I'm sure she could be greatly helped by a good clinical psychologist --- just be sure she steers clear of "hypnotherapists" who could only make her worse !
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9362 votes
67% - 19326 votes