Ask an expert

28 Jul 2008

The right thing to do
I am a mom of 3 kids, have my own business and study fulltime. My eldest son is a professional swimmer and his dream is to compete in the Olympics. We had a long chat and i told him that it is his dream and i will help him wherever i can. I race around 5x a week to get him to and from swimming and make sure he eats the right foods. It seems like my whole life has been absorbed in his sport. Because of our busy lives, i do not feel like having friends over on weekends as it just completely drains me. i would rather try and spend quality time with my kids and husband. The result of this all is that we have very few friends left. It is my and my husbands birthday next month and have arranged a get together with some of our friends. My son' s coach came to me and said that he wants my son to do a swimming competition on both my birthday as well as the day that I have arranged the get together with my friends. I am going to take him on my birthday for the swimming comp and I want to support my son, but really feel torn between having a bit of fun and rushing around to get him to the to the competition. I know someone is going to be disappointed. How do i get a balance in handling all of this. My husband works long hours and we stay oversees, so our support is very limited. Please give me an " outsiders"  advice. Thanks
Answer 289 views

01 Jan 0001

Its important to care for yourself, as well as for your son --- for your sake as well as for his. Why can't someone else take him to the swimming meeting ? WHy not the coach, who apparently makes plans without the remotest thought about family and parental needs and wishes ? Does it really always have to be YOU who takes him to the swims ? As G says, there must be other parents in similar positions --- whyn n ot share the burden ? Especially with higher fuel proces and global warming, does there have to be 5 cars carrying 5 swimmers to the same place ?
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.