Ask an expert

05 Dec 2005

i suffered mental abuse as a child & early adulthood. The problem is I'm still battling to cope with life. I tried pschotherapy but just talking is not helping the depression is still effecting me. What other alternative therapy is there i.e regression , Hypnotherapy. I'm just tired hopeless suicidal i don't see any therapist on the internet specialising in Adult survivors of abuse or mental abuse. please help
I notice I get really weepy sometimes when I think of the bad things in my life?
Answer 299 views

01 Jan 0001

Empty talking therapy, of the old-fashioned analytical models, is totally useless and a waste of money. This is why I am enthusiastic about the proved effectiveness and practicality of CBT. Hypnotherapy is almost always total quackery and has no possible benefit in treating Depression or the results of abuse --- and can be highly dangerous and damging in tthose situations. It is bvest to work with a therapist who does NOT specialize in adult survivors of abuse, as the few that do tend to produce much worse results than the average good CBT therapist, and too often have their own obsessions leading the treatment, rather than your individual needs.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9467 votes
68% - 20230 votes