Ask an expert

05 Jan 2005

Tik addiction
Good day, I've got a friend who asked for my help because he really wants to stop doing tik (drugs). I've no idea how to go about helping me - please advise. He's been doing this drug for over a year now and craves it every day. He's losing control of his life and realises that he stands to lose everything he's worked for. He seems to be hearing people talking about him (even though people seems to be discussing other topics) he is adamant that they must be talking about him - he is insecure and has no selfworth. He even believes his girlfriend is not good enough for anymore. Sometimes when he can't control his urge, he goes out on a binge (sometime during the middle of the night, he goes out, being totally irrational and do not come back until the next day). He is also starting to talk about suicide and this scares me a great deal. We are in the Cape Town area and he is not on medical aid, but we would be able to afford a semi-private rehab centre should there be a place that can take him immediately.
Answer 669 views

01 Jan 0001

Well, it sounds like maybe he is realizing the extent to sich he has become entrapped by this bad habit ---you don't Do drugs --- drugs Do you. In any case he would need to be helped by a proper psychiatrist, in person ; and especially if he has begun hearing voices and feeling paranoid. Sometiems this is caused by the drug, sometimes the drug pushes one into a psychotic state to which one was already vulnerable. Either way, it needs and can respond very well to, skilled treatment, both to get off the tik, and to stay off it ( much more important ) and to clear his state of mind. You could try calling a local helpline for advice on local clinics in your area geographically and budget-wise, maybe call the Dept of Psychiatry in Stellenbosch University for advice, similarly. I agree wi9th Candice. Good luck, and keep us in the picture as to how things develop
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9439 votes
68% - 20025 votes