Ask an expert

24 Jul 2006

To: Riana
Sorry Cs, Am posting a new one her for Riana.

Riana, after following your posts, sounds like your whole family are suffering with your daughter here. I am sure both you and your husband would benefit with some trauma counselling. I am sure the hospital could arrange this or if not, call Famsa/Lifeline and they can refer you to someone. You need to do this asap. It will help you and your husband with how you interact with your daughter, how you respond to everything that has happened and if indeed her boyfriend did this to her, how you react towards him. You also need to know what your legal rights are, you need to report to the police asap. Even if your daughter is unable to make a statement personally. You need to get a case no and get the ball rolling here. If she doe not want to pursue the case in the future, you then don't have to. You have to know what your options are for recourse on behalf of your daughter. As a few other readers have mentioned the medical report from the Dr will be required as well.

Answer 168 views

01 Jan 0001

Good idea for the parents to see a counsellor for themselves, and for the sake of their daughter. Similarly, the possibility of opening a case is worth considering, but there's no great hurry there, as it will work better when the daughter is able to make a statement herself
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9476 votes
68% - 20327 votes