Ask an expert

19 Jan 2004

Trauma Councelling - JHB

My husband and I were in an attempted mugging and I was stabbed on New Years. I would like to find out where we can go to see a trauma councilor in Johannesburg. We live in Weltevreden Park.

Thank You!
Answer 306 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Lindsay,
Sorry to hear of your nasty experience ; I hope you will soon be able to put it behind you and continue, stronger than before.
As I keep explaining, we don't recommend specific therapists here on this site, because, among other excellent reasons, it would be impossible for anyone to keep track of all the shrinks in SA, their addresses, contact details, qualifications, interests, skills, etc.
I'm sure you're wise to decide to see a counsellor, and I don't think you need a specialized "trauma counsellor", but any clinical psychologist or counsellor in your area should be able to help equally well. There is no formal training course in SA for trauma counsellors, and general counselling skills generally work excellently.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9467 votes
68% - 20217 votes