Ask an expert

21 Apr 2006

Unsure how to approach the situation
Hi CS,

Firstly I do feel better, symptoms lifted a bit after I omitted the Rivotril from my dosage last night. Might be the culprit all along and the Neurologist would then be the first option to consider.

Currently I am on a high, typical BPolar high with intermittent episodes of lows,that thank God, does not last very long. I do have a problem though and it correlates to an earlier post by SR. Since I am on this emotional high I seem to be able to face the world again, however when I hit my lows and need some guidance from whoever is available, but (again the trust and support network issue) my parents (how they get their timing right to deduce that I am down) pulls me right down with them.

They're having a difficult time too, but it remains a situation where only they can help themselves before I can, in fact I can't do anything for them, because I am not a medical doctor and financially I can not afford to send them for treatment at a private clinic.

The tone in which they communicate with me and hinting and using me as a crutch is getting me down. How do I tell them in a tactfull way to get off my back, take responsibility for their own problems and then expect support from me.

Afterall, you can take the horse to the water, but you can't make it drink...

Answer 324 views

01 Jan 0001

Hi LS,
Pleased to hear you're feeling somewhat better. Yes, if one reads through the POSSIBLE side-effects of Rivotril, it's an awesome list. As for your parents, yes, this is indeed a puzzlement. PEople often hear what theyy wish to hear, and similarly will not hear what they don't want to hear. One can only consistently, patiently, and calmly explain that one isn't able to help, and encourage them to find some other form of help, whether from state health services, or voluntary agencies, and so on. Its as if they're demanding to borrow money from someone who's bankrupt --- that they want some is understandable, but they're asking at the wrong place
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.