Ask an expert

01 Dec 2004

Urgent advise - troublesome neighbour
my neighbour acts so strangely especially when she can see you sitting outside. she would start saying vulgar words that no one can toleerate. at the end im a prisoner in my own house as im afraid of sitting outside.
can somebody please tell me if it will be the right thing to report her to the police or to get a letter from court?
please help it is also affecting my kids
Answer 675 views

01 Jan 0001

Actually, I think that using vulgar language that is frightening, annoying or hurtful to the recipient IS potnetally a crime, something like crimen injuria. If it were not, we could all spend far more time swearing and insulting the people we don't like much. Maybe the old lady is psychiatrically unwell, but even there, there are limits as to what would be tolerable on her part. I think it is entirely reasonable for you to discuss this with the police. If they are any good at their ob, perhaps a visit to her and a word from them, may stop her ; otherwise a restraining order could be granted by a court.
And swearing in front of your children, would be looked on badly by police and courts.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.