Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
28 Jul 2005
Hi, l am 22 years old, 1.6m tall and weigh 47kg. I have always enjoyed going for a jog and playing squash. Recently, however, I haven't been that active, due to a really tough course and our campus isn't situated in a save area. The problem comes in with my boyfriend; whenever we see a really sexy girl on the television or in a film he'll lean over and say: "If you come with me to the gym, you can also look like that." I feel really offended, for, although l am not that toned anymore, l am still thin and in shape. He doesn't seem to realize how bad l am taking this - no one has ever said anything bad about my body before. l have already asked him to stop doing in and appreciate what he's got, l could have been fat with a lot of cellulite and then he just says if l looked like that he wouldn't have been with me in the first place! Reading this he sounds like a real jerk, but he says it in a joky manner, so it never seems so bad, until l actually start thinking about what he's said. What should l tell him? It is really bothering me, and l go on a guilt trip every time l see my running shoes under my bed!
TOo many people make "jiokes" that can ofend or hurt others. But why not join him in the gym ---for the sake of your own health, and push him to exercise more there ?
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- What happens if you walk into a vaccination site? We break it down
- Do we really need to walk 10 000 steps a day?
- Over half of adults unvaccinated for Covid-19 fear needles – here’s what’s proven to help
- Many of us overestimate our exercise levels – here’s how to calculate how much you really do
- Covid-19: Delta variant symptoms include headache, runny nose – can feel 'more like a bad cold'
- THE ESKOM FILES | 'False and fabricated': How Eskom officials colluded with construction giants
- Rural areas leading the way in registering people for Covid-19 vaccinations - health dept
- Never-ending story: Zondo Commission to seek another extension – but will govt pay for it?
- SA Post Office has a new business plan, but admits losing Postbank will hurt
- Sihle Zikalala calls on the ANCYL task team to focus on SA's 'three pandemics'
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
31% - 9519 votes
69% - 20841 votes