Ask an expert

11 Jul 2005

What must I expect of my cousellor?
Hi cybershrink, and all who have helped me through a tough time lately.. I hope you read my thank you note from earlier.

Just one last request cybershrink, I am seeing my counsellor, Melissa tommorow.. how can I ask her to help me with the rape. she is excellent with my eating disorder and an expert on eating disorders and I love her. But with the rape, I retold her the story and have told her my behaviour and the repercussions it has caused...she see's everything as a problem like me drinking but how else can we work together now to get her to help me? See I am now thinking rationally and taking steps to normality, i will be ok...i just need to be calmed sometimes. How can we work it through together please help
Answer 328 views

01 Jan 0001

Hope things get still better for you, k. OK, so your counsellor is handy on eating disorders. A I recall, experiencs of rape / abuse are not at all uncommon in people with eating disorders, so she is probably well able to help with that aspect of your problems, too. And the basic skills of a really good counsellor can be applied to any problems.
I am really pleased to hear you being so rational and working towards normality.
As for approaching your counsellor on this, maybe you just need to be absolutely frink to her --- how you recognize her expertise on teating disorders, but, that, for whatever reason, you felt that she just listened when you told her about the rape, while you feel that it has affected you far more deeply than perhaps she realized, and that you need more help specifically dealing with that, and the pain and rage it has left you with. Tell her in more detail about how it has affected you, and the instabilities that arose, and ask her to deal directly with those issues. Surely she will rise to the occasion, or perhaps even consider involving a colleague with even more experience in such matters.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9439 votes
68% - 20025 votes