Ask an expert

21 Jul 2008

When is the dosage right?
I am too poor to afford psychiatrists and psychologists and cannot afford to take the time off to spend up to 3 days at Helen Joseph hospital. So I rely on the kindness of my GP.. I have been on Lily-Fluoxetine, Zoloft, Xyloprim, Aropax and Paxel - with Zolpedim to sleep and Rivotril to combat anxiety for 7 years. I have survived two suicide attempts and spent 2 weeks in a state Hospital in Durban.

The high costs of medical aids are just beyond my reach.

We have juggled more combinations than Tom Cruise in "  -|- tail" .

My GP has taken me off Paxel and put me on Cymbalta (60mg/day), which at R600/mth is a huge strain on an already strained budget and I' ve had to cut out all entertainment, holidays and the little things that make life livable.

I still do not know if I am coping.

Moods fluctuate, I am furious all the time, viciously impatient, homicidal (just wanting to lash out), feel impotent. &  tho'  divorced and on very good terms with my ex, have grandfatherhood to look forward to, have a job (precarious though it is that pays pitifully) hold two degree, have massive achievements behind me, great children, an intimidating 160IQ, I see very little point to living, have not experienced joy in years, fiund company tedious, find faith futile, become bored very quickly ... and on and on and on.

I have tried everything from hypnotherapy to CBT to meditation to exercise and -|- tails of them all. There is probably some answer out there but beyond my meagre resources.

How would I know if I find the right combination and are there such things for people such as me?
Answer 382 views

01 Jan 0001

I'd have tried Cilift ( a cheaper and effective generic drug siilar to CYmbalta ). And maybe it'd be worth taking the time off to see a shrink at the HJ, as it wouldn't necessarily take so long every time, especialyl to get repeat prescriptions. I'm surprised that CBT< if properly used, didn't work. There are solutions, even for people like you and me.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.